Tuesday, November 01, 2011

Practice Diary for Bass Guitar

Hi people, for now, this blog with be used as my practice diary. Basically I will be posting up the different things I am doing to improve myself on my selected instrument - the bass guitar.
Well, I started off with bass a during Secondary 4, and I have never played it consistently, it 's the curse of a multi-instrumentalist. It's only once in a while when there's a need for a bassist, do I get a chance to properly sit down and practice the bass.
Over the years I found some weaknesses I have with playing the bass (as with a lot of other instruments I play).
  • Little control over the instrument, which leads to inconsistent volume, rhythm.
  • Little knowledge on scales, and different melodic fills on the bass
  • Little Stamina in playing a full song, especially fast punk rock song which require continuous fast fingering.
So in this performance, I aim to:
  • Be able to play the bass tight in a band, and have good control over it by playing bass more in every opportunity possible.
  • Be able to keep time well, by practicing with my 'best friend', click
  • Train up stamina, by playing more songs and practicing finger exercises and scales
  • Learn how to play gospel style bass - from fills to its grooves, by imitation and application.
Hope to hear from you guys how else I can improve my skills on the bass. Some of these goals may not be accomplished during the course of study, but I'm sure it will be accomplished sooner or later...

No comments: